Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/

Quilt Gallery

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Four patch doll's quilt

I thought I would have another look at  my left over "orphan" blocks this week and see what I could make.  There was a heap of 4" four patch blocks, so I thought I could start with this.  After laying them down and playing about for a bit I came up with a suitable setting.
I did not try to match the blocks at all except to not put the same next to each other.  Just one failure on that point.  Never mind - Dolly won't notice.
 With this kind of onpoint setting you need to get the sides right.  If you cut them the wrong way you get a wobbly edge.  Not so bad in these little quilts, but horrible in the larger ones.

To get this measurement right you need to take the size of the finished block - 4" and multiply it by 1.414, then add 1.25: for seam allowance, and then round it up to the next 1/8th of an inch.  Sounds complicated?  here is the way to do it.   So this would be 4 x 1.414 = 5.656 + 1.25 = 6.906  ---  round that up to 7". 

So I cut 2 squares 7", then cut  on the diagonal twice to get 8 triangles,   and that gives me the long side of the triangle on the outer edge of the quilt.
Now, for the outer corners it is kind of reversed.......4" divided by 1.414 = 2.82 + .875 for the seam allowance = 3.7.  So round that up to 3 3/4".  Cut it in half once and you get the outer corners.
 The triangles are all attached and you can start joining the rows.  When making a large quilt you might want to check the directions of the pressed seams so that they butt in and sit flat.  I did not bother for this little one.  I did press all the seams where the triangles joined, in the direction of the triangle.
All done in about an hour.  I decided to not do a border as the setting triangles kind of make the border.
Binding and quilting completed.  At first I machine quilting in the ditch between the blocks, and then did the binding, which I cut a little narrower to reflect the size of the doll quilt.  After that I did a little hand quilting with Valdani perle cotton in variegated pink.  You can see a little of the wobbly lines in the top photo.
And, I did start the Di Ford Mystery quilt from Quiltmania.  I prefer the reds and greens I have chosen from my own fabric stash.  The Broderie Perse fabric is still undecided, so I am working around the that.  I joined the 2 Facebook pages for this quilt, and the ones done from fabric packs look great, but the photos look all just the same - each quilt is identical.  My vase looks a little wobbly in the photo.  It might just need a press.


  1. Your DI Ford mystery looks great in these Colourbox Wendy.

  2. Love your little quilt and the blue fabric especially!! I hope you'll add the blog post with your swap quilt you received to my linky party.:)