Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Friday, May 27, 2011

Red and White Quilt

After all the turmoil of the last few weeks, it was so nice to move my machine back to where it belongs, and actually use it.  This is my new project - red and white - inspired by the Red and White exhibition in New York recently.

This block has lots of names - Devils Claw, Turkey Tracks, Botch Handle, Crows feet.  Not sure what I will call mine.  They are 8" finished, and I think they are going to be one of those blocks that are not going to turn out so perfect, with the tricky piecing.

I saw the quilt pictured on the front of Betsy Chutchian's book, Gone to Texas

It is called Crowfoot in this book, and has a slightly different piecing in the centre. Don't you like the way the blocks different set on point or square?  Not sure where I will go with that yet.
Then I saw it in the book Home on the Plains.  I don't have an image of the inside of the book, as I do not own it (but I am going to!) but you can click on Pickledish store and have a look at the pages.


Finally, this week I received this book in the post - all the way from Rochester, NY, from my friend Ava.  The quilt was actually owned by her friend, and made by the friend's mother and grandmother.  Wow!

This made up my mind!  I have two boxes of red fabrics to choose from, and I found a heap - (I mean yards and yards), of white shirting with a tiny red print,  in my clean up.  I bought it for another project and it did not happen.



So my reds will get an airing, and i will feel like I have achieved something this week.  I printed my pattern on Block Base where you will find it called Botch Handle.  I made the blocks 8", but in some of the patterns I have seen it is quite large.  The one in the books above are 11".

I might even make two of these, the red one 8" and a multi-coloured quilt with larger blocks. 


6 comments:

  1. its going to be a beautiful quilt!
    can't wait to see a few more blocks....
    kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be beautiful! I hope you post blocks as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first block is great. Look forward to seeing more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have noticed that I have quite a bit of black fabric, and thinking about incorporating that some how in the red blocks - either as blocks, or sashing. Will that make it not a red and white quilt then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red is a very powerful color. Love your red assortment. Some of the quilts in the red and white exhibit had a touch of green here and there - it was faded and I'm not sure how many noticed - same with the prints.
    Everyone needs one 'power quilt' right?
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh what a great block and fantastic post. I totally dig your blog background. You're a girl after my own heart. Great first visit. Nice to meet you. *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete