While the quilt is still quite wet, I lay it on a sheet on the carpet. Down on my hands and knees, I move about the quilt and pin it along the edge, with straight pins, into the carpet. I pull it, and pat it, and smooth it until it is nice and smooth, and flat, and square and keep re-pinning. Leave it there for a couple of days, with the ceiling fan on in the summer, or a blow heater in the winter. Hey presto! you take it up and there is your square flat quilt. It always works, even on really bad quilts.
I took some close up shots of the quilting. In the border I used a Baptist Fan template. These lines are 1" apart. I would like them to be closer, but I ran out of time.
I got a few of the red and white blocks done. They are not quick to make and as I am using lots of different fabrics, it is not even worth trying to cut up heaps and just string piece them. As I make them, I am finding easier ways to do it, including the quick method for Flyer Geese.. These blocks are suppose to be 8" finished, but they are coming out at 7 3/4" - every one of them. Guess if they are all the same then it does not matter.
Maltaville blocks from Quiltstation.
So far there have been 16 blocks released, and I have managed to do 12, which is not too bad. I can catch up. Must admit that it has been the easier ones I have done first. The flower block in the centre, has a bird missing. I was looking for a bird to Broderie Perse, but can't find one small enough. So I had better just practice my applique skills.