Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Spring is in the air......

la, la, la......well not really spring yet, just feels a bit like spring after our cold and damp winter.  Makes me feel like doing things.  The sun is shining and the ground is starting to dry up a little.  Some of the early flowers are out, and I have been pulling weeds out,

After a bit of mucking about I settled on the floral motifs for my new basket block I showed you back here.  The flowers are from a few different ranges, and the leaves from others still.

 I am doing the applique with button hole stitch this time.  My stitches are about 1mm wide and 1mm long.  It is a very traditional way to complete the applique.  I am putting the pieces straight onto the background, not using vlisofix.  You get a much softer finish.
The thread I am using is the same for all the pieces.  you could use a thread to match each of the flower colours, but I stuck with neutral.....once again, this is quite traditional.
In the "olden days" they only had a couple of thread colours...white, black, probably grey, and maybe tan.  My thread is Auriful Mako 28 weight, with the grey base.  People familiar with Aurifil know it to be a wonderful soft thread to work with, and they change the colours of the base, according to the thread weight.  I am planning to use this thread for hand quilting on my next "big" project.  I have used the YLI Select for years, but find the colour I like - Ecru- getting hard to find.  The needle is a Milliners No.8.


Talking about hand quilting........
I have started the basket and rose quilt.  I am doing this one with "big stitch" quilting.  I am going to quilt 1/4" inside the sashing on both sides, then 1/4" inside the blocks, then follow the shapes a bit.  Not much planning involved as yet.
 I started the stitching last night, and got quite a bit done.  Hope to have this one finished for the Adelaide quilt show in November.

These blocks are 8" finished, and I cut the sashing strips 2" wide, so they finish 1 1/2".  A few people had asked me the size, so I am telling you all.
These are my new needles.  I have been using the Clover sashiko needles, then found these from Pepper Corey.  They are a little finer, with various eye sized, to take all the thicker threads.  They glide through the layers smoother than the sashiko needles as well.  I am going to try out each of the needles before I settle on the one I like the best.  I did have some for sale, but sold out totally at the Adelaide Stitches and hand craft show.  Once I have them back, I will let you know.



No comments:

Post a Comment