Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I am a quilter

but a dressmaker as well.  I use to make every scrap of clothes for my family, including undies!  Since I started serious quilting, I have hardly made a scrap of clothing, and almost forgot some of the basics.

I had an idea about making a shirt of patchwork fabrics, and teamed up 5 different prints from Moda.  The fabric is beautiful to work with, and it drapes really nicely.



It is not totally finished yet.  I need to sew down the collar stand, and work on the button holes.  In the past I have made button holes manually on my old Bernina machine.  I have not done any serious dressmaking since I have had the new Bernina 230.  According to the instruction book there are about 3 different ways to do them, and there is a fancy attachment as well.  I will have to do lots of practice I think to see how it all works.

Bright, isn't it?  You will see me coming in it.  I just chose fabrics I liked, not bothering about where they would be placed.  Nearly forgot - there is a pocket to go on LHS as well, so that might break it up a bit.

5 comments:

  1. Wendy, it looks great - fabrics too! I know what you mean about sewing other than quilting I am making doll clothes YUK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to practice with the button hole gadget now. See how that works. If in doubt - return to the old fashioned method.

      Delete
  2. Good for you to start dressmaking again! I'm like you I haven't done any dressmaking for some years now and yet I used to make at least 80% of my own clothes. There is such a great variety of fabrics available now that would be awesome in clothing!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Wendy, I am waiting to see a photo of you wearing it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patience.......still practicing on the button hole gadget. However, I have picked out the fabrics for the next one already.......golds and browns

      Delete