Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Quilt Basting - a bit more on the subject

Liz asked about piecing the back.  I do not pay a lot for my fabric, but I buy good quality fabric.  I scout the discount stores and pay around $5 to $10 for backing fabric.  The one on the back of this quilt is a Red Rooster Fabric, "In the Time of Toile" from the Shelbourne Museum.  Cost me $8 a metre.  Guess other people thought it was ugly!  You can see the whole range here Red Rooster  Lots of lovely ugly fabrics.  I love them!  Mine is the gold with the brown/red kind of flowers.

Anyway, I bought 5 metres, and had the shop assistant cut it into two equal lengths for me.  I turned the print around the right way, and stitched the long sides together about 1/2" in from the selvedge.  I then cut the selvedge off, and pressed the seam open.  Pressed the whole back as well the get any creases out.

That selvedge I place upper-most on the table, right down the centre.  So, that is a good guide for me to start placing the batting and the top.

Now that it is morning, and I am still in my pyjamas, I might as well go and put a few more stitches in before it gets too hot to do it.

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see how you piece the back. I was once given a rather public and humiliating tutorial on piecing the back for a professional machine quilter. She claimed that my technique, rather similar to yours made it impossible for her to quilt. Her technique involved ripping the selvedge off both sides and piecing the long sides together. I have since followed her advice, but this has not always proved successful. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't see how you can do it any other way. I have had a couple of quilts machine quilted. I asked if there was any special preparation, and this is all she wanted. Wendy

    ReplyDelete