When I was having de-clutter a few weeks ago, and I was looking for odd blocks to turn into "something", I found a box of treasures.
The blocks were completed in August of that year. I have the photographic evidence! Right here
So what went wrong? The darn edge pieces and the sashing! It is fun making the blocks, then you have to make it into a quilt!
On the weekend I went to the hospital to visit my friend Sheila. She has been in and out of hospital for the last month, and pretty well sick of the whole thing. She asked me to bring along some "show and tell". I dug out the blocks I have been working on for the last few weeks.
Plus the quilt blocks I found while cleaning out. There I was, supposing to cheer up a sick friend (and by all accounts it did), and she was the one who inspired me into getting this thing finished.
I counted up and had 18 blocks. I can recall that I had decided not to do a square quilt, but a rectangular one instead. Also, I recall thinking I would do a straight set and not a on-point set......but I had 18 bloocks, which is what I needed to do the on-point. It was those tricky side half block pieces that must have made them all go into the "too hard box" and stay there for 6 years.
After my visit to hospital, I got home and started cutting up the sashing (yes I had that too!) and the setting squares. I had more or less decided to use a pretty print on the sides instead of the pieced units, but could not decide on the print.
Today I made the first of the side triangles. And, they are not as bad as I thought. I made one, and it took me 5 minutes to cut and 5 minutes to sew. So, once I get them quick cut, and feed them through the sewing machine, I recon I will have them done in a day.
This is how they go with the blocks and sashing. I am really going to give myself a target with this one, and see if I can get it done this year - hand quilted and all!