Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Friday, February 6, 2015

a little hand quilting

Two weeks ago I collected my "Return to Paradise" from the machine quilting lady who had basted it for me.  When I start on hand quilting an applique project I rarely have an idea of how I am going to quilt it.  I started by going around the outline of the shapes, and 1/16th" out, so you can just see the stitches.  However, in the case you can nor see them!  I have used taupe coloured thread on the yellow print background, and the stitches can not be seem.  Bummer!  In more ways than one I wished I had used maybe a grey thread.  I like to see my stitches on the front, but on the back I used a purple fabric, and you can see every stitch!  I have to be even more precise with the quilting, to make sure the back looks good as well.
 When Dawn created this pattern, she was kind enough to mark most of the quilting lines, and I am basically following that.  I got in touch with her and asked about the background.....wondering what the original maker made done.  I had planned on doing "echo" stitches in the background, and that is what the original maker had done.
 In the border, where I have used solid coloured fabrics, you can see the stitches much better
The holes in the leaves is where I took out the tacking.  They will go away with handling.  On the leaves and stem I will do an inner 1/4" line of quilting as well.

Every day I am doing at least 2 hours on this and hope to have it finished by the end of May.  It is really big, so hope I have not taken on too much.

6 comments:

  1. Your quilting looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the look of your quilting - the quilt must be really coming alive with the added texture! I do like your thread colour choice. So good that Dawn can advise on quilting and echo background quilting sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting stitches are beautiful! You are so close to a finish. I'm impressed with your two hours a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful hand quilting. How big is this piece?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it can be frustrating when your stitches don't show as well as you would like, but yours are beautiful! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love quilting around applique. I am soon to finish a project and am keeping my open for something for the future. I am eyeing several patterns at Dawn's etsy shop

    ReplyDelete