Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Thursday, February 13, 2014

I woke this morning.....

and there was this strange sound on my roof....pit, pat, splat!  Now what was that? I am sure I have heard it before some place........ah, yes, RAIN!  I feel like I want to strip off and run around in the rain.  It's ok, I promise no photos :-)

Now life can get back to normal.  I have been working on a few applique projects, and I got the next part ready for the Tiptoe Through the Tulips quilt.

We are now up to the first border.  You get to make these 4 pieced border strips, by either hand or machine, then add the appliqued stars in the corners.  Once again, I stuck pretty close to the original quilt colourings, and found this reproduction brown printed plaid, with a pink leaf pattern on top.  The original quilt maker used a couple of different brown prints.

The pattern is now available to download on the Legend and Lace website.  The cost is $4.50 for each part.

I started to download the Benjamin Biggs block of the month, and went looking for a stash of Smithsonian fabrics I had hidden away, thinking I could use some.  I found the fabrics, but I also found for Maltaville Album blocks from 2012.  Many completed, and quite a few partly complete.  I saved the BB blocks to my computer, and went back to the Maltaville blocks.  They are very interesting blocks, and I get to play with lots of different fabrics as well.

These are some of the finished blocks I found, and I would guess there are another 4-6 blocks elsewhere. 
There are also these 5 partly completed blocks.  I used some of these as demos for "back-basting" applique as they have some really good shapes to show the technique.  Not only can you use it to make the larger shapes like the leaves, but I use the same method to do the skinny little stems.  So many interesting shapes in this quilt.

Perhaps this will be my priority for a while.  I must make a list!

1 comment:

  1. All the blocks are so gorgeous. They make me want to jump back into applique, which I have not done for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete