Saturday, August 25, 2012
So here it is - all 12 blocks completed, and borders on. I was thinking I would do the old fashioned kind of binding where you turn the back to the front, as I had used the same fabrics. However, when I laid it on the floor like this, it looked a bit wobbly about the border. One way to fix that is to put a proper binding on it. Gives it a bit more weight, and eliminates to a certain extent the flaring.
I mark my quilts for machine quilting with one of these Quilt Pounce things. When I first bought it I thought the idea was great, then I used it and thought it was useless! Turns out there are two different chalk powders you can get, one rubs off and one does not. I had the wrong one of course. Secondly - I do not think they are good for hand quilting, as you handle the fabric so much more, and they do rub off. Finally, there is a bit of a technique in applying it. You have to pat the box when it is closed to get the powder distributed, then when you put it on, you have to wipe it over the template, not pounce it on.
I find it great for these borders, it is done in a flash, and stays on while it is quilted.
So, if you have one at home, and think it is a lemon, try it again.