Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Monday, November 28, 2016

Don't you hate waste!

I think I have just started the most wasteful of all my quilting projects!  I first saw this quilt in Quiltmania magazine a couple of years ago, and just loved it.  However, when I started reading the pattern, I thought there was something seriously wrong with the instructions.  At the time, I could not be bothered mucking about with it, but just abandoned the idea.  The photo recently popped up on Pinterest, and I thought I would have another look at it.

I dutifully followed the instructions, cutting the required number of strips of fabric across the width of the fabric, sewing them together, and cutting.

Can you see how the template A is only along one side of the sewn strip?- well that is all that is used.  The rest is wasted!  I thought I must have read it wrong, and tried to use the other pieces as well, but it did not work at all.

 I can get this set, but does not have the alternate centre pieces
 this one has the alternate pieces, but there are only 6, not 8, wedges
this one has 7 wedges, not 8.

I expect I could use some of these pieces to make the 1/2  "paperweights" needed for the sides of the quilt, but the rest does not work.  So, today I have abandoned it again....temporarily.

The pattern is available https://au.pinterest.com/pin/16184879880648569/ so I have taken the step of ordering the pattern.  I might be wasting my time and money, but thought perhaps the original pattern had been mis-interpreted by the magazine.

Any cleaver ideas out there, or has anyone else tried this pattern and found a solution?

PS I just thought I would have another go, and re-read the instructions.  There are definite errors ie. each fabric for the centre needs a 4" x 24"piece, except that you have to cut it 2 1/2" wide - does not work.  Will wait for my pattern to arrive.

8 comments:

  1. Well, since you asked😇 I would use the "scraps" to make mixed up wheels instead of "proper" wheels, put them in a setting square and add them to the back of the quilt...or you can treat them like a tumbler pattern and make a scrappy baby quilt. I'm with you in that I don't like waste. Last fall I made an autumn table topper that wasted as much fabrics as it used - was disappointed then, can't imagine a whole quilts worth. Will be curious to see what other ideas come up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really need to make up a small block from the patterns in Quiltmania. I also found mistakes on other patterns, it is in the translation from French and then the centimeters to inches translation, something goes wrong with it. I found it in Ratsburg Quilts - one of the patterns was completely wrong. sometimes on their website there are Oops - Corrections - for their patterns. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for trying to work it out! It is a great block- I will look forward to your thoughts on the pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer! Could you make a sister quilt with the other wedges?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to know I am not the only one to have problems with Quiltmania patterns. I agree it's in the metric to inches. Whatever you choose to do will be lovely I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quilt Mania usually has errors in the patterns. One time I cut the entire quilt out only to realize when translated to inches (by them) there was a translation error and the entire quilt is still in pieces. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to see more of your broken dishes quilt behind this post! :) It looks great with all of those shirtings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried many of Quiltmania's patterns and more often than not, they are incorrect. For such an amazing magazine with such a following, you would think they would ensure their patterns were spot on. Sigh . . .

    ReplyDelete