Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

zig zag setting

 You will be very please to hear that this post is nothing to do with computer problems or other things that went wrong!

I finally got a chance to spend some time doing something productive for myself.   I have had a collection of 6"Ohio star blocks in the UFO box for ages.  When I went poking through the boxes recently, I decided that it was time to get it finished.  I have always had a soft spot for the zig zag setting.  The first time I tried to recreate such a sashing I made a real mess of it, until one of my friends told me it was made like a "strippy"quilt, with triangles.  I am going to machine quilt it, and actually cleaned up my sewing table so that I had the space to baste it.

So far I have just stitched "in the ditch"around the stars, and have no idea what will come next.  Some kind of parallel lines in the sashing, and made some stars in the large triangles.  Will see what I can come up with.

While I was cleaning out the sewing room, looking for space, I found my collection of McCalls Vintage quilt magazines.  These magazines are so inspirational if you like old quilts, and I do!




I actually found something that I thought I would make.  Are you aware if the German scherenschmitte paper cutting techniques?  You fold paper in halves, then quarters, and finally 1/8ths then cut out the design.  I love working the cut outs in applique  -  it is a real challenge.




As yet I have not decided on the colours, but after seeing the Red and White exhibition at the Sydney Quilt show, I have a bit of a hankering to make one.  It would be a really good travelling project as I could just baste the two layers together, and then cut away as i get to that part.  No need to carry lots of different fabrics or colours....just the one.

Tomorrow we are setting up for the Sewing Stitching and Handcraft show at the Adelaide showgrounds.  If you are going, please call by stand S25 and say hello to me, and my daughter Natalie will be with me Friday and part of Saturday.  It is going to be another cold weekend here, but it will be warm inside, so we hope to see a lot of people coming through.

This show is organised by a wholly owned South Australian company, and we like to support the locals, don't we?



1 comment: