Welcome! This is the blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace Designs

Welcome to the Blog of Wendy Whellum and Legend and Lace

To find out more about Legend and Lace please visit the website http://www.legendandlace.com/



Quilt Gallery

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Trip Around the World and other stuff

Early this year I started on this hand pieced Trip Around the world.  I saw one that my friend Pip Porter was working on.  Hers was positively beautiful, and I wanted one too.  Pip's is made of modern fabrics with reproductions mixed in and mine in just reproductions.  As I was working on it, a number of people made a comment about using up fabrics, and I started to write down the amounts in case I decided to make a pattern.  I am not making a pattern, but I still have the amounts written down.  You can access the "pattern" using this link.  I will also put something on the side bar so that others can find it.  Let me know if the link is not working.


Apart from a bit of hand work, I have been working on the sewing machine over the last few weeks and have a couple of new things to show.  Last post I showed how I had started on this machine applique from Kaffe Fassett's Museum Quilts book.  I am really enjoying the machine applique!  No wonder people love it......you get something done in Weeks rather than years!
 I decided to use some of my stash of reproduction fabrics.  I love stripe fabrics and I love wiggly prints.
 Love this swan!  and I have wanted to use this fabric for ages.  It is quite overpowering so does not fit in everywhere
 How about the hombre cat? 
 This is a hand or a glove - not sure which, but the same shape.
 So far I have completed 2 of the 5 rows of applique.  It is all done on 15"blocks, then sewn together.  Then you put more shapes over the seams.  You can still see some spaces, so in due coure I will add a few other shapes, not in the pattern
It was a nice day today, so I drew up all the shapes, and sat out on the verandah to cut them out.  I got 2 pineapples done, 2 gloves, 2 pigs and 2 cats.  And, I am one who says I don't like animals on my quilts!  Had to break my own rules.

Also on the machne jsut lately, I launched into a black and white quilt.  I saw something like it on Pinterest, and decided I could probably knock up a few blocks a day. 



The first 6 blocks took no time at all, and I did not really have enough to make them all different, so ended up using a few prints in reversed places.  There are 24 in total and I am looking at a "strippy" kind of setting with 4 rows of 6 blocks.  There is a little bit of red going in there too.


This is the last one I made, and finally I got the zig zags going in the right direction

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! How will you finish ... cut off the outside squares? Then add borders? Appique borders? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt! If you need something similar but different, try using the "wrong side of the fabric", it is more subtle, and gives more variety as well.

    ReplyDelete