Last week I continued with kitchen renovations and had a new oven installed. Very nice! However, the electrician had to get access via the cupboard in my sewing room. It was not a pretty sight, and had to pull everything out of one cupboard to get in. I found something. An almost completed Whig Rose quilt. I can remember starting this, and I checked the dates and it was started July 2004. The border went on in 2005, it was basted and some parts marked in 2006..........
What went wrong? Did I fall out of love? No. It was, and still is, a very heavy quilt. It is Kona cotton solids for all of the applique, plus cotton batting and cotton backing. As I was quilting it, it seemed to slip a lot within the hoop. I could see lots of ripples in the hand quilting. I lost heart.
However, having another look at it after 12 years, I have decided to finish it and make the best of it. It had been marked with a blue wash out pen...my favourite....but after all these years I have no idea what brand it was and if it would come out. Usually I spray the work with water after it is quilted, and hope the marks come out. I am very happy to say that after all these years the marks did come out......mostly
However, some lines had turned grey. I have no idea what I marked this part with, and I hope it washes out. I will just quilt over the top and hope for the best.
This is the book where I first saw the quilt I am making.